Zenner Card Exercise
You can make your own! Just use regular note cards and draw 5 different shapes. Make each shape a different color. Or you can use playing cards with red and black, seeing what clues you get that help you identify the color, number or suit.
- Lay 4-5 cards face down in a row.
- Focus on one card at a time. You can place your hand over the card or put it up to your chest if that helps. Do not look at the front of the card.
- Pick up your pen and notebook
- Make sure to write down the first thing that comes to mind.
- Do not judge anything – you might be shocked at what came in that gave you some clues when you’re finished!
- You can take as much time as you would like. (We timed it in practice for daylight sake)
- Lean into the cards energy.
- What is being presented to you? Is there a:
- Feeling in your body
- Perhaps it is a hint in the form of a memory, song or experience?
- Repeat the process for each card.
- When finished, flip over one card at a time.
- Check your list. Circle what you got right.
- Make notes of how the accurate info presented, how it felt, etc so that you can begin to notice how that feels. Over time you will gain confidence and become familiar with that feeling.